Flattr

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Bloop, But No Blast...Chief in a Big Tourney...


Greetings -

Well, I set a goal to qualify for the $200K guaranteed tourney at Ultimate Bet.
After making the final table in the first qualifier earlier in the day, I fell short when I went all-in with 10/10 only to get called by a guy who limped in with the Rockets....He set a nice trap.

2nd qualifier, I flop Quads with about 21 people left, and managed to finish in the Top 7. The Top 7 advanced to the 5pm 200K event with a $215 entry chip.

Brother Steve...aka Notphilivey whipped up some steaks over in Wantagh and I was ready for the game by 5:00pm.

Brother Steve offered me $60 for 30% upfront, but I chose not to take it.

1st place was $45,000 dollars. 90 places paid. UB only had 860 players and 1,000 players required them to break even. Essentially, they added over $20,000 to the tournament even after the alternates were seated.

I started with $2500 chips and built to to $3600. I lost half my stack on a hand involving the small blind. We both flopped the top pair of Queens and we got all the money in. I had her covered. She outkicked my with a jack to my 10.

I was now down to $1,200 and built my stack up to $2,100. Blinds were at 50/100 when I was dealt AKos (Big Slick). I raised to 600 under the gun and a big stack reraised putting me all in... He revealed KK which left me despondent. The board yielded no help and I was gone in 464th place.

While I am disappointed, I'm still happy about having an opportunity to play in such a high value tournament. I guess I could have tried to get away from Big Slick and lay it down on the final hand, but I chose not to.

O well. I really don't think that I made an awful decision during the whole event. I have trouble figuring out how to play the blinds sometimes...but getting outkicked like that was a hairline difference.

Even 90th place would have got me $300 bucks.....464th....

While the "Bloop" of qualifying into the Sunday 5:00pm tourney exhilarated me, the "Blast" of cashing in a high value tournament never materialized.

I have some work to do....And miles to go before I sleep.

Chief

No comments: